Another one of our star products here at Itchy Baby Co is the divine and luxurious shea butter.
Shea butter is super moisturising and hydrating thanks to its high content of fatty acids which lock in moisture and help the skin hold on to it for longer. It’s also rich in vitamins, A, B, C, D, E and F, all of which help to keep skin healthy and are intensively moisturising.
Basically, this lovely little ingredient is a good egg. You’ll find shea butter in our famous eczema moisturiser.
Fun facts about shea butter:
- Cleopatra apparently loved shea butter. There is a mention of caravans of clay jars filled with shea butter for her use. It’s also said that this luxurious ingredient was beloved by the Queen of Sheba and Nefertiti. So, you’re in good company!
- Shea butter is ivory in colour and is made by crushing and boiling the nuts from the shea tree.
- The shea tree grows in 19 African countries, in the Savannah’s of west and central Africa.
- Untreated shea butter should have a subtle yet pleasant aroma. If your baby suffers with eczema, you’ll know straight away that highly perfumed products are often a trigger for flare-up. Our high-quality shea butter has a mild scent that is a little bit nutty / earthy, guaranteed to please those with sensitive skin and noses!
- Shea butter offers natural UV protection (it is SPF 6) but it is NOT a substitute for sunscreen. We’d still always recommend using your own sunscreen.
- It contains 60% fat, making it highly emollient – perfect for sensitive skin or those with eczema.
- Shea butter can also be used to reduce inflammation. A 2010 study found that due to its cinnamic acid and other natural properties, shea butter was anti-inflammatory. One compound in particular, lupeol cinnamate, was found to reduce skin inflammation and even potentially help avoid skin mutations. This also makes it beneficial for some people with acne.
- The antioxidant activity of certain active compounds in shea butter, such as linolenic and linoleic acid can help to prevent oxidative stress in the skin, which can reduce the likelihood of wrinkles, age spots, and other signs of premature aging.
Want to know more?
Like reading about our all-natural ingredients? Check out our latest post featuring our star ingredient, colloidal oatmeal!
This blog post was brought to you and your child with love and care by Julia and the itchy baby co. team x
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional.