I am forever asking myself what else can I do to manage my two bubs’ eczema and their itchy skin? Sticking to an eczema daily routine of bathing and moisturising is so important because itchy skin needs so much moisture and hydration to be well looked after and keep eczema flare ups away. What else, as well as my daily eczema routine can I do to help my child’s itchy skin and eczema flare ups?
ways to help itchy skin and avoid eczema flare ups
- know your eczema triggers
Being aware of things which trigger your child’s eczema and then trying to avoid them can help keep flare ups away and itchy skin at bay.
Some common triggers which can bring on an eczema flare ups are:
– house dust mite – regular vacuuming, damp dusting and airing of bedding can help to lessen the effect of house dust mites and help reduce itchy skin.
– certain foods – allergy testing might help you to identify and foods which can trigger itchy skin and eczema flare ups in your child.
- Manage changes in temperature at home
Summer and winter months are hard to control outside of home, but at home we try to avoid itchy skin and flare ups by controlling the temperature inside. Heat is probably the most common trigger for eczema so in summer we have our air conditioning and ceiling fans on regularly to stop our bubs’ eczema skin heating up and getting itchy. In winter we try to get more moisture into dry and itchy skin by using a humidifier which helps put moisture into the air.
- Keeping stress levels down
Stress is a common trigger for eczema and trying to help your child relaxed is another way to help manage itchy skin and eczema flare ups.
Some key ways you can manage your child’s stress are:
– Sleep time – this is always difficult when your toddler has eczema. Managing your toddler’s eczema routine, will mean that they will be less likely to scratch during sleep-time and will sleep better
– Exercise – always helps at any age.
– Do more of what it is that your toddler enjoys doing – share in their fun with them.
This blog post was brought to you and your baby with love from Julia and the itchy baby co. team. X
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional