itchy baby co. skin care maintenance routine
Caring for itchy, dry and sensitive skin is about keeping to an effective skin care routine which gives the skin the most amount of moisture and protection. This is why we offer natural products which not only protect the skin’s barrier function and provide intense nourishment, but also work together for optimal hydration through our itchy baby co. skin care routine.
At itchy baby co. we have been busy testing our skin care maintenance routine with many children for a period of time now and we want to share it with the hope it can help you too.
We have also developed my child’s eczema skin care routine and maintenance plan which you can print and take with you to discuss with your doctor to help you maintain and manage your child’s eczema.
step 1 - bath time
Bathe daily with itchy baby co. natural bath soaks to give your child’s skin the most amount of moisture to help relieve itchiness and dryness.
Our bath soaks work by leaving a thin film on the skin, which acts as a barrier to stop moisture loss. They also have natural anti-inflammatory and anti-itch properties.
step 2 - moisturise
Moisturise immediately after bathing with itchy baby co. natural moisturiser while the skin is still damp. Our moisturiser will melt into the skin and help lock in the goodness from our itchy baby co. bath soak, as well as mixing with the skin’s barrier to stop water loss and keep triggers out.
step 3 - focus on problem areas
There are some areas of the body which need more attention before or after bathing and moisturising.
what makes itchy baby co. natural products so effective?
Our all natural products have been developed in Australia by Australian pharmacist mums. The main ingredient in itchy baby co. products is colloidal oatmeal, which we source from Australian farmers. Colloidal oatmeal has been clinically shown to moisturise and relieve dry skin.
When it is used in a bath soak the oat proteins leave a barrier on the skin which stops water loss and keeps the moisture in. This stops the skin from being dry. Colloidal oatmeal also targets itchy skin by having an anti-itch property which works by bringing the pH level of itchy skin back to normal, lessening the need to itch. Itchy baby co. products nourish and hydrate the skin without chemicals and irritants.
natural colloidal oatmeal
Oatmeal has been used for hundreds of years to soothe eczema and other itchy and irritated skin conditions such as chicken pox, hives, heat rash and insect bites.
How oatmeal helps itchy and irritated skin is all to do with oatmeal’s chemical structure:
- oatmeal can hold water and protect the skin because it is packed full of starches and beta-glucans
- oatmeal has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity through its many types of phenols
- oatmeal softens the skin because it has lots of cellulose and fibre
Head over to our blog to have a more detailed look at the evidence behind colloidal oatmeal.
Goat’s milk has many nutrients, minerals and enzymes that can help nourish the skin. Over the years it has been used to relieve many different skin conditions. It is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties and also a pH level similar to healthy skin that can help relieve dryness and irritation. Two of our soaks, natural oatmeal bath soak with goats milk, and natural oatmeal bath soak with goats milk & organic coconut, contain full-cream goat’s milk powder.
Coconut is known for its soothing and moisturising properties. We added organic coconut flour to our premium formula for natural oatmeal bath soak with goats milk & organic coconut.
These carefully selected ingredients are easily absorbed into the bath water, targeting and nourishing your baby’s scratchy, irritated, dry skin.
They target your baby’s skin while your baby is enjoying bath time which adds no extra time or fuss to your day:
- saturated fats – these help the skin hold in hydration and keep moisture from escaping through the skin’s pores
- fatty acids (capric/ caprylic/ lauric acid) – these offer natural antimicrobial properties to our itchy baby moisturiser. On the skin these fatty acids help protect from infection.
- vitamin e – is well documented to help nourish the skin through its antioxidant properties. Vitamin e is needed for healthy skin growth and repair.
organic shea butter
Organic shea butter is packed full of vitamins A, B, C, D, E and F. These all help heal and repair troubled skin as well as intensively moisturise.
Organic beeswax is loved by itchy, dry and sensitive skin conditions because of four main reasons:
- like colloidal oatmeal, it forms a protective barrier to keep the skin safe from triggers in the environment, while also holding in moisture. Unlike petroleum based products, beeswax let’s the skin breathe. This means it does keep in heat which can be a trigger for eczema.
- beeswax has natural antimicrobial properties to help keep the skin free from infection
- moisture is attracted by beeswax into the skin, which helps to keep dry and itchy skin hydrated
- natural anti-inflammatory properties of beeswax help the skin to heal