It has been a big deal having a child with eczema start school. For one it has made me accept that my child is unlikely to grow out of his eczema and it will most probably will be a long term condition requiring management throughout his life. The other reality of starting school means that I’m not there all the time to lessen the affects and impact of his eczema on his activities and relationships. Which led me to realise that he needs to become aware of how he can help to manage his eczema by himself.
How can I help my child manage eczema in school?
- Heat is a big trigger for eczema flare ups, so regularly reminding your child to take off their jumper when they are inside the classroom or during sport activities can help them to reduce eczema flare ups.
- Making sure your child goes to school with a full drink bottle of water and encourage them to drink it during their breaks and sport activities.
- Keep an extra tube of their moisturiser in their school bag and let them know that it is there and step them through applying it if their skin feels itchy while they are at school.
Talking to your child’s teacher about managing eczema
Getting a few things in place in the classroom with the help of your child’s teacher can also contribute to managing eczema. Regularly checking in with your child’s teacher to see if and how their eczema is affecting them at school will also help you to help your child. Providing resources to your child’s teacher explaining eczema might also be useful.
- Provide a cotton mat for your child to sit on when it’s time to sit on the carpet.
- Organise regular breaks for your child to moisturise their skin.
- Make sure your child’s classroom seat isn’t near the heater or in direct sunlight.
Keep up your end of your eczema management skin care routine at home
Good eczema management at home will hopefully result in less eczema flare ups and mean eczema is less of an issue at school for your child. To help you find a skincare routine which is effective for your child’s eczema and to know what to do if your child has an eczema flare up, itchy baby co. have developed an eczema skincare maintenance routine and management plan which is a resource we encourage you to download and take with you the next time you see your doctor to discuss the best routine to manage your child’s eczema.
This blog post was brought to you and your baby with love by Julia and the Itchy Baby Co. team. X
Disclaimer: Information provided is of a general nature only, and you should always consult your medical professional.