Managing eczema can affect everything that our children’s skin comes into contact with. Eczema skin can react to a variety of triggers and we know that laundry detergent can be one of them. We get asked a lot about the best laundry detergent to use for eczema or laundry detergent alternatives and recently I have switched to using organic soapberries.
Managing eczema is a commitment to trying our best to help our children have healthy and happy skin. An eczema skin care maintenance routine involves using products every day, often several times a day to:
- give the skin the moisture to stop it becoming dry and itchy
- to soothe the itchiness which comes with eczema
- to help protect the skin’s natural barrier which keeps triggers out and stops more skin irritation
It’s no surprise when many of us choose products which we are going to use often and regularly to help us keep our children’s eczema skin in the best condition we can, we want something natural and nourishing.
Coconut oil is one of those natural wonders you keep hearing about when you start talking eczema and as you start your research you will begin to understand why. It is taken from the edible flesh of a coconut, has many properties which can help to manage eczema. Here are some of them:
- Lauric acid has proven antibacterial properties which can help control the growth of staphylococcus bacteria which loves living on dry skin. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits which can help during the itch-scratch cycle.
- Saturated fats these add smoothness to the skin and also layer the skin’s natural barrier to help it to retain moisture.
- Vitamin E which is needed for healthy skin to grow and repair itself.
- Phytonutrients and polyphenols which have antioxidant properties to fight skin cell damage
- Caprylic and capric acid to prevent itchy and flakey skin as well as helping to protect the skin’s natural protective barrier.